Image Map

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Repost Showbie for Tech Tuesday

Linking up with Once Upon a Classroom this week for a re-share of my post on Showbie.

I love Showbie for student engagement during the day as well as for the home-school connection. You can upload documents, send voice messages, pictures, etc...Ok I am getting ahead of my self...

When I started teaching with two iPads last year, they were a way for me to reach students who were A) disengaged, B) bored, or C) in need of an extrinsic motivator.

Now, I can use each child's iPad to differentiate to ability level, in addition to using apps. Through the app Showbie, I can provide differentiated instruction, while using iPads.  Don't tell my kids, but I am tricking them into learning by making it fun AND relevant.



I have already posted on Showbie here and here if you are interested - but this week I wanted to talk about how we are actually using it in the classroom.

One of which is during Read to Self. Oh. em. gee. Read to Self was a little painful for those non-readers for a bit. Enter the iPad... and not so much anymore! After my littles spend 5 minutes practicing their book in Read to Self, I let them take out their iPad and record a video of themselves reading.  And BAM, reading is fun again.


After they record, my littles upload to Showbie so that I can see what they did, I have a record of what they are reading, and I can provide differentiation based on their comprehension, fluency, etc.

Here is a PERFECT example - a child who is very shy and talks little to adults in class. And look at all these uploads!

It is also absolutely hilarious to see what is going on in the background and the conversations I am having with other students.  Want a good laugh? Subscribe to my Showbie account, I wish you could. Hilarious. But then again, you know that because you also teach primary - I am assuming. :o)

Anyways, I digress. 

Another great daily Showbie routine is morning calendar. Each morning, the kids have a choice to do either the calendar app, or their Showbie calendar. Credit goes completely to our bilingual teacher, Lily, here for coming up with this idea. 


In Showbie, there are three pages which the kids can use to tell us the date, day, number of the day, weather, sight word, etc.  I usually then project one of my lil volunteers on the SmartBoard to keep engagement high.




Next post I will give out some more Showbie ideas and maybe talk about parental involvement? We shall see, there is just SO MUCH you can do!

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a comment or two! 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kirstin, that's a great idea to use this app during calendar. It's the time of the year too where calendar can start to get monotonous. I will have to try this with my kiddos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I'm always looking for ways for students to share work.
    www.erintegration.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, Love your site! You have so many tech resources to share. I am exploring now. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. I hope it works well for you too My Day in K!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran across your blog in the Seller's Forum on TpT. Are the Ipads in your classroom designated just for your classroom? At my campus we have Ipad carts to check out, but we don't have Ipads in every room YET. I am looking forward to that day. I'll definately check out Showbie on my personal Ipad.
    KaSandra
    MemoriesMadeinFirst

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi KaSandra,
    Thanks for stopping by! We have our own iPad cart for my classroom and my students take their iPads home each night. What activity do you and your kids like most when you have the cart?
    `

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love <3